Thinking of majoring in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics-related field but concerned about the cost? Looking for an undergraduate research opportunity, or an enrichment/internship program? Take advantage of the many different opportunities offered to STEM students at SCC!
FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
SCC has a dedicated Financial Aid office in room E-104, with staff who are committed to promoting student financial access. Federal and State grants, work-study programs, and student loans options make funding your STEM education a reality. For more information, visit the SCC Financial Aid website by clicking here.
Students at SCC also have access to a multitude of scholarships to help pay for education expenses. Our Scholarship Office is located with Financial Aid in E-104.
Here are a few of the many additional scholarships that may be available to students at SCC:
- SCC's STEM Academy:
Southern California Edison STEM Scholarship opportunity can be found in the 2014-2015 SCC Scholarship Handbook on page 17 - click here.
- SCC's Scholarship Page: with several resources and links for scholarship information - click here.
- UCLA's Center for Community College Partnerships Scholars Program - click here.
- SMART: Science, Mathematics & Research for Transformation scholarship page - click here.
- AFCEA Educational Foundation: STEM Teaching scholarship program - click here.
- STEM Scholarship for Student Veterans - click here.
- National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME), awarding more than $4 million dollars per year to unrepresented minority students - click here.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund, in partnership with:
1. GE Hispanic Forum Scholarship Program - click here.
2. Marathon Oil Corp. College Scholarship Program - click here.
3. Morgan Stanley Foundation Scholarship Program - click here.
- College Board's scholarship search page - click here.
- FastWeb's scholarship search page - click here.
- Scholarship Experts search page - click here.
- Scholarship America, because college doesn't happen by chance - click here.
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Program, selecting 1,000 students per year to receive a good-through-graduation scholarship to be used at any university of your choice - click here.
- The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, increasing Hispanic college graduates by providing scholarships and assistance to students and their families - click here.
- UNCF Scholarships page - click here.
Student Research and Enrichment Programs
Students at SCC may be interested in participating in one of the several STEM-related Research and Enrichment Programs at local universities, as well as public and private industry partners, including:
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) at UC Irvine: a host of undergraduate research opportunities affiliated with UCI faculty and campus programs - click here.
Summer Medical & Dental Education Program @ UCLA:
a 6-week summer enrichment program through the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and UCLA's School of Dentistry. For more information - click here
: A list of several NASA internship sites across the country - click here
- NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratories (JPL): Summer research, enrichment, and internship programs at JPL, located in Pasadena, CA - click here.
- National Institute of Health - Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research - click here.
- Various research opportunities provided by the National Science Foundation - click here.
- Association of American Medical Colleges Summer Enrichment Program database - click here.
- UC Berkeley "Transfer To Excellence Summer Research Program": With options in Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, and Robotics - click here.
- UC Berkeley Opto-Camp: 3 day residency experience to expose students to careers in optometry - click here.
- Ohio State University-I DOC: 3 day program to expose underrepresented students to careers in optometry - click here.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln: Summer Research Opportunity - click here.
- Naval Research Laboratories: a 10-week Summer Research Opportunity - click here.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - STEM Summer Internship Program: a 10-week program with options in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and more! Participants receive $6,000 stipend and travel expenses paid. For more info, click here.
- American Assoc. for the Advancement of Science - Science & Mass Media Program: a 10-week program that places Science, Math and Engineering majors at media organizations nationwide. For more info, click here.
- CSU Fullerton (STEM)² Preview Day - Campus and lab tours, department visits, student panel: Transfer Transition Success, and lunch provided.
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 from 9:00am - 1:00pm
Check back Soon - we will be adding additional information on STEM-related opportunities as they become available!