E-reference service via Ask A Librarian Online Chat and Text a Librarian messaging is for the students, faculty, administrators, and staff of Santiago Canyon College [SCC]. Inquiries from outside the SCC community are answered as time and resources permit. This service is available during Library business hours when classes are in session.
Online chat and text message reference provide brief assistance on:
- starting points for research, e.g., which resources to use
- suggestions on research or information searching strategies
- Ready Reference factual questions
- Basic, general documentation and citation questions
- NoodleTools citation composer [limited to SCC students & faculty]
- library services, facilities, policies, e.g., connecting from home, online renewals, etc.
Online chat reference does not provide the following:
- medical, legal, or financial assistance
- interpretation of assignments or other materials
- in-depth research assistance
For more extensive or in-depth assistance, the reference librarian may recommend that the online user visit the Library in person.
Non-SCC users may be referred to another community library or asked to visit the SCC Library for additional assistance.
Text a Librarian