Library and Information Studies
Upon completion of any course, information inquiry, or library instruction, the student will be able to:
- PROGRAM OUTCOME I - Identify and retrieve information in a variety of formats.
- PROGRAM OUTCOME II - Evaluate information using critical thinking skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
NON-CREDIT LIBRARY INSTRUCTION
After a reference consultation, a group library instruction session, or other library instructional session students can do one or more of the following:
- OUTCOME 1 - Develop a search strategy.
- OUTCOME 2 - Navigate the Library website to locate appropriate resources.
- OUTCOME 3 - User Library research tools to retrieve information.
- OUTCOME 4 - Evaluate search results using criteria.
LIBI 100 Library Research Fundamentals
- A. Students will identify the types of information sources available in a college library.
- B. Given a research topic, students will construct a search strategy to locate and retrieve one library print source and one online database source relevant to the topic.
- C. Students will correctly cite the two sources using the Modern Language Association (MLA) documentation style.
LIBI 103 Advanced Internet Research
- A. Given a research topic, students will construct a search strategy to locate and retrieve two web sources of information relevant to the topic.
- B. Students will evaluate the sources for authority, accuracy, currency, and ownership.
- C. Students will correctly cite the sources using a standard documentation style.