E-reference services via e-mail and online chat are intended for the students, faculty, administrators, and staff of Santiago Canyon College [SCC].
- These services are most useful for questions that require a short answer
- These services are available Monday through Saturday when classes are in session and the Library is open [See: Library Hours].
Inquiries from outside the SCC community are answered as time and resources permit.
For in-depth research assistance, please see the Reference Librarian during library open hours.
E-Reference assistance advises on:
- Short factual inquiries
- Starting points for research , e.g.,
- Which resources to use, i.e., library catalog, databases, etc.
- Suggestions about search strategies
- Help on using library databases
- Questions about Library services and facilities, e.g., connecting from home, wireless access, etc.
Non SCC-users may be referred to another community library or asked to visit the SCC Library in person for additional assistance.
Chat reference ends 30 minutes before Library closing time.
After hours, please submit inquiries submitted via E-mail reference [SEE box at right]
Responses will be sent ASAP within one working day but response time may vary, depending on the nature of the question.
Submit e-mail reference below: SCC_LibraryReference@sccollege.edu
Some Types of Questions the Library Does Not Answer:
The Library does not interpret assignments or other material.
No medical, legal, or financial advice is given.
Questions requiring in-depth research
Portions adopted from UC Irvine, Cal State Los Angeles & Santa Monica College