Women @ Work: Empowering Non-Traditional Careers at SCC
The hands-on careers of the future are here, and the rewards are clearer than ever. Associate degree holders in career education fields earn an average salary of $66,000*, five years after graduation -- more than 70% higher than their traditional education counterparts.
Future BUILT opportunities are all around, in Orange County and beyond, but there's one thing missing… girl power.
Though women represent 50 percent of the California workforce, they continue to be under-represented in hands-on, tech-rented fields, holding a scant four percent of positions in these sectors. These careers tend to come with higher wages, bolder opportunities for advancement, and better job security – making them ideal for confident, independent women looking to blaze their own career trail.
Santiago Canyon College supports California's mission to increase the prevalence of women in non-traditional careers, and is proud to provide fast, focused pathways to careers in a variety of underrepresented industries.
- Apprenticeship – Carpentry, Electrical Tech, Surveying, and more!
- Public Works – Construction Management, Construction Inspection, Environmental Management
- Survey/Mapping – Surveying, AutoCAD, Mapping
- Water Utility Science – Water Distribution, Water Treatment, Wastewater Management
Career-focused coursework in these disciplines covers practical concepts, using the latest equipment, facilities, and technology to provide students with applicable, real-world experience. Graduates go on to versatile careers in the public and private sectors, commanding more demand, and higher average salaries than their general education counterparts.
Santiago Canyon College remains committed to providing support and resources to empower women to succeed in non-traditional career pathways. Start powering up your paycheck today!
If you have questions or if you'd like more information about any of the Business and Career and Technical Education programs, feel free call or email. You can also use our form to Contact Us.
Yes! Santiago Canyon College’s tuition rates are affordable and competitive, providing one of Orange County’s best higher education values.
Click Here to learn more about the cost of attending SCC.
Your Career Education degree or certificate opens doors to bigger paychecks, broader opportunities, and more!
- Meter Reader, Utilities - $51,410
- Electrician - $64,220
- Surveying Technician - $63,670
- Surveyor - $91,090
- Construction Carpenter - $54,390
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operator - $68,800
- Hydrologist - $101,230
- Cartographer and Photogrammetrist - $83,350
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installer - $54,210
- Electrical Power-Line Installer, Repairer - $106,690
Santiago Canyon College’s Career Education department provides a variety of degree, certificate and apprenticeship programs, leading to workforce-ready, Future BUILT careers.
- Carpentry: Acoustical Tile, Drywall/Lather, Drywall Finisher, Plastering
- Carpentry: Concrete, Finish Carpentry, Framing, Tilt-Up
- Carpentry: Millwright
- Carpentry: Pile Driver
- Electrician: Inside Wireman, Sound Installer
- Maintenance Mechanic and Electrician
- Operating Engineers: Heavy Equipment Operator, Heavy Duty Repair, Inspection, Rock Products Industry
- Power Lineman
- Surveying: Survey Chainman, Chief of Party
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Construction Inspection
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Construction Management
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Environmental Management
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Code Enforcement Officer
- Associate in Science (A.S.): Survey/Mapping Science
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Survey/Mapping Science
Water Utility Science
- Associate in Science (A.S.): Water Distribution
- Associate in Science (A.S.): Water Treatment
- Associate in Science (A.S.): Wastewater/Environmental Sanitation
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Water Distribution
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Water Treatment
- Certificate of Achievement (CoA): Wastewater/Environmental Sanitation
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Water Distribution
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Water Treatment
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Wastewater Treatment
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Water Conservation
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Water Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Certificate of Proficiency (CoP): Water Utility Management
Click Here to browse SCC’s online catalog.
Orange County Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee
Santiago Canyon College-Apprenticeship
Public Works Faculty
Mark Counts, PLS
Ed Capalaran, PLS
Chu Kow, PLS
Tom Propst, PLS, CFedS
Water Utility Science Faculty
(951) 833-1170 x223
(562) 907-9200 x421
(949) 837-7050 x223
Student Support Starts Here!
At Santiago Canyon College, your success is important to us. Click the links below to take advantage of these free student support services, and more!
Hawk’s Nest Food Pantry
If you're interested in seeing more about Women in Non-Traditional Careers, including course offerings, certificate requirements and more, Click Here.