VISIT OUR EXTENDED SITE at
The SCC Writing Center, located in the Humanities Building in Room 240 (H-240), is free to all SCC students and is open Monday to Wednesday from 9am to 7pm and Thursday from 9am to 5pm, is designed to assist students in their study, practice, and communication of English. The Writing Center exists to promote student success, particularly in skills fundamental to effective communication in all disciplines, so we welcome all SCC students, not only those enrolled in English classes but also students taking any course in which writing assignments are required. English Department professors as well as our Writing Center Instructional Assistant, Donna Collins, staff the center in order to best serve students' needs.
In working with a professor, students may focus on improving their writing in a number of areas: developing an assignment's content, organizing their ideas, and enhancing their sentence structure and vocabulary. Moreover, we believe students are most capable of writing well if they can learn to identify their own errors and develop the skills to correct those errors in a way that reveals a unique tone and style, so WC staff will assist them in using proper grammar and punctuation as well as in developing their own voices.
What the Writing Center offers
- Mini-lectures and workshops on grammar and punctuation
- One-on-one conferencing with English professors
- Guidance about the writing process, from early planning stages to final polishing ones
- Assistance with various writing assignments, including essays, resumes, and college applications and personal statements
- Directed Learning Activities worksheets
- Internet access for research
What the Writing Center does not offer
- Editing sessions
- Proofreading services
- Computer use for emails
- Computer use for typing non-academic materials
*WC hours are subject to change