Lab Use Policy:
Students are required to do a minimum of 1 hour per week. (2 hours per week for Summer session.) Also, students may not sign into lab while class is officially in session (this includes, but is not limited to, early dismissal from class, class cancellation and/or student’s failure to attend class). There are no exceptions to these rules.
All Lab/college personnel reserve the right to monitor all computer related activities performed by students within the Language Lab with the use of the latest monitoring software. Computer usage in the Language Lab is restricted to lab related activities only. Downloads, chats, Internet surfing, games, music, videos and/or any other non-related lab activities are strictly prohibited. Violation of this policy is good cause for removal, suspension and/or expulsion.
Good Cause for Removal, Suspension and Expulsion
Good cause for suspension, removal, or expulsion includes, but is not limited to, violations enumerated in the Guidelines for Student Conduct, and the following offenses:
- continuous disruptive behavior or willful disobedience, habitual profanity or vulgarity, open and persistent abuse of Lab personnel, or open and persistent defiance of the authority of Lab personnel, which includes physical as well as verbal abuse, including the use of racial epithets;
- assault, battery or any threat of force or violence upon a student or Lab/college personnel;
- willful misconduct that results in damage to any personal property owned by the district or district employees (damage includes, but not limited to cutting, defacing, breaking, etc.);
- willful or persistent eating and/or drinking in an area where it has been prohibited by Lab personnel;
- knowingly making entry into a computer, a computer system, or the computer network of the district and/or making unauthorized additions, deletions, modifications, or destruction of any data which may reside therein;
- sexual assault or physical abuse, including, but not limited to, rape, forced sodomy, forced oral copulation, rape by a foreign object, sexual battery, or threat of sexual assault upon a student or Lab personnel;
- persistent, serious misconduct where other means of correction have failed to bring about proper conduct; and violations enumerated in the Guidelines for Student Conduct.
Authority for Removal, Suspension and Expulsion
Removal from Lab by Lab personnel: Lab/college personnel may remove a student from the Lab for the day and/or the remainder of the week, and shall report all such action to his/her instructor, the academic dean of the appropriate division and to the Dean of Student Affairs.
If the student is a minor, lab personnel shall inform the Dean of Student Affairs and his/her Instructor. Lab personnel shall request that the instructor contact the student’s parents and request a conference regarding the removal from Lab usage as soon as possible, and any further disciplinary action if needed.
During the period of the removal, the student shall not be permitted back into the Lab without the concurrence of Lab personnel, Instructor, appropriate academic Dean and the Student Services Administrator.