Welcome to the Psychology Department at SCC!
About Our Program
The Psychology Program at Santiago Canyon College offers a variety of courses designed to prepare you for an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree in Psychology, or to transfer to a four year college or university.
Completion of the two-year degree is appropriate for students whose vocational plans include helping people (i.e., teaching, social welfare, probation, criminology, nursing, law, personnel).
The program also provides excellent preparation for transferring students who desire a future career in any of the more than twenty branches of psychology including child, clinical, counseling, industrial, experimental, social, cultural, and college teaching.
Student Learning Outcomes for Students Completing the Associate of Arts Transfer (AA-T) Degree in Psychology:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
- Respect and use critical thinking, skeptical inquiry, and when possible, the scientific approach to solve problems related to behavior and mental processes.
- Develop insight into their own and other’s behavior and mental processes and apply effective strategies for self-management and self-improvement.
Psychology Courses at SCC
The Psychology Department offers a variety of courses to fulfill students' general education and requirements for the major as well as their personal interests and curiosities. We also welcome non-psychology majors to pursue courses in our department as they can provide an insightful complement to any major, enhancing your understanding of human behavior and thought processes.
We offer the following courses throughout the academic year:
- PSYC 100 Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 100H Honors Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 157 Introduction to Child Psychology
- PSYC 160 Introduction to Lifespan Psychology
- PSYC170 Multicultural Psychology
- PSYC180 Psychology of Gender
- PSYC 190 Psychology of Human Sexuality
- PSYC 200 Introduction to Biological Psychology
- PSYC 220 Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology
- PSYC 230 Psychology of Adjustment (previously Psychology of Effective Behavior)
- PSYC 240 Introduction to Social Psychology
- PSYC 250 Introduction to Abnormal Psychology
For a listing of current course offerings and descriptions, go to WebAdvisor
, log in as a Guest, and do a search for Psychology courses at SCC.
You are welcome to email Dr. Umali Kopp, the Department Chair, with questions about the Psychology Department at SCC.