Welcome to SCC's STEM Academy homepage!
What is SCC's STEM Academy?
- SCC's STEM Academy is an academic support for students pursuing majors, degrees and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Membership is optional and totally voluntary.
What are some of the benefits of joining STEM Academy?
Summer Research & Enrichment opportunities only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
Scholarship dollars and awards only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
STEM Pre-selection eligibility: The ability to "pre-select" your STEM courses early and receive priority registration in those courses
(NOTE: Only open to STEM Academy students who meet all program requirements each semester).
How Do I Join SCC's STEM Academy?
What are the requirements to join SCC's STEM Academy?
For New Students just beginning coursework at SCC:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Minimum 2.7 GPA overall on your high school transcript
- Placed into a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 160/170/180 or 219)
- Counseling appointment required during your first semester @ SCC
For Continuing Students at SCC to join STEM Academy:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Must have completed at least 10 units of Math/Science coursework within the last year at SCC
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA minimum
- Complete a majority of your STEM classes at SCC
- Counselor appointment required during the semester you join STEM Academy, and every semester thereafter
What are the requirements to ensure I am eligible of "STEM Pre-selection" priority registration?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection (i.e., priority registration in your STEM classes at SCC for each upcoming term), you must complete the following program requirements each semester:
- Join STEM Academy and maintain program requirements each semester (see above)
- One 45-minute Counselor appointment required per semester
- Create a "Transferology" account (go to www.transferology.com and create a free student account. For more details, click here)
- In addition to the steps above, participate in at least ONE additional STEM activity offered during the present semester that is STEM Academy-approved.
What are the current STEM Academy-approved STEM activities being offered this semester?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection, you must create a "Transferology" student account AND complete one of the following approved activities during Fall 2017:
"Transferology Workshop" - Monday, October 16th at 3:00pm in room L-219
"Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) Workshop" - Thursday, November 2nd at 1:00pm in room E-304
Participate in at least 2 STEM Club meetings this semester
Be a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader
Participate in at least 5 sessions of Supplemental Instruction (SI)
"Discover Chapman Day" - Sunday, November 12th from 11:00am-4:00pm @ Chapman University campus
For more information, please visit a STEM Counselor in the SCC Counseling Center, room D-106.