Sign In

General Information and FAQ

​​​The Veterans Service Office (VSO) is here to help you understand your benefits and the school policies as they apply to your education. We recommend reading the General Information Packet for detailed information. If you have specific questions, please contact our office by calling (714) 628-4793.

​​​Click Here To Read The General Information Packet​ 

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the difference between the VSO and the Veterans Affairs Department (VA)?

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) is a federal institution that provides and regulates veteran benefits, including educational benefits. The VA determines a student's eligibility for educational benefits. The VA Regional Processing Center is responsible for processing your education benefits. Questions regarding benefits or payments must be directed to the VA. The VSO is not involved in the processing of VA benefit payment.

The VSO is a student services office that acts as a liaison between the student and the VA. In addition to assisting veteran students with the application for VA educational benefits, the VSO can connect students with campus and community resources to assist with the transition into the college life. The VSO's Certifying Official certifies your courses with the VA for processing. If you have any questions regarding the courses you are certified for or any resources to assist you with your education, please contact the VSO. 

What should I bring to the Veterans Service Office on my first visit?

If you are a veteran bring a copy of your DD-214, member 4 (if applicable) or if you are an active duty service member or reservist, bring a copy of your most recent orders. You can also bring a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA showing your benefit entitlement. ​

Can I apply for Financial Aid?

Yes, students can apply for both VA educational benefits and financial aid! The VSO strongly recommends that students file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every academic year. By filling out the FAFSA, you will be applying for federal and state student aid such as grants, federal work-study, loans, and the California College Promise Grant (Fee Waiver). 

The VSO staff can assist you with the application process and there are computers in our office you can use to submit the FAFSA.

How do I start using my benefits at SCC? 

​The VSO staff is happy to walk you through the process of starting your benefits at our campus. We also have a helpful New Student page you can use as a step by step guide. 

Click here for more information.

​My parent is a veteran and/or active duty service member. Are there any benefits I can use? 

Yes, there are state and federal benefits you may qualify for - including the Cal Vet Fee Waiver to cover the cost of classes and the VA's Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program. We have a Dependent's page you can use for a guide. 

Click here for more information.

​I am active duty and/or stationed a significant distance from the college. Can I still take classes at SCC? 
​​Of course! SCC offers a variety of classes in an online or hybrid format. Our office also provides priority registration for active duty students. For active students who are not able to visit the campus in person, we can assist in setting up phone appointments with the Veteran Academic Counselor and act as a liaison​ with key offices like Admissions & Records and Financial Aid. 

At this moment, our campus is not approved for the Tuition Assistance Program, however we can help you apply for Financial Aid - which includes the California College Promise Grant that covers the $46 per unit fee for eligible students. There may be additional resources we can connect you with to help you with the cost of education. ​