High School Diploma & GED
Phone: (714) 628-5929
The Santiago Canyon College (SCC) Adult High School Diploma and GED programs at the Orange Education Center are approved by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. The programs operate on an open-entry/open-exit basis, are self paced, and are provided in an individualized learning environment. As part of the program, each student meets with a counselor to develop an individualized educational plan to complete his/her educational goals. Child care services are available to students who qualify.
Diplomas are issued by the Rancho Santiago Community College District to students who complete the required course of study and demonstrate proficiency in basic skills. Graduation ceremonies are traditionally held each spring on the SCC campus. Students may complete the diploma program at any time during the year and receive verification of completion of the requirements at that time. Elective credits may be earned in a wide variety of locations throughout the community as listed in the schedule of classes published each semester.
STEPS TO COMPLETE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
1. Take the high school reading and math assessments.
2. Make an appointment with a counselor to review assessment scores and transcripts.
(Bring official high school transcripts to the appointment).
3. Attend classes regularly.
4. Complete 160 credits and three proficiencies (reading, mathematics, and English composition).
5. File a petition to graduate.
6. Attend the graduation ceremony!
ACCEPTED TRANSFER CREDITS
1. Previous high school transcripts (must be official)
2. Regional occupation programs (up to 20 credits)
3. Foreign transcripts (see counselor, up to 100 credits)
4. Approved private school transcripts (must be official)
5. Work experience (see counselor)
6. Armed Forces work experience
7. College transcripts (must be official)
Effective July 1, 2009, High School Graduation Requirements are as follows: A minimum of 20 of the 160 required high school credits must be completed in residence at the Rancho Santiago Community College District.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION:
English (A maximum of 10 reading credits; must include at least one composition course)
Natural Sciences (Must include both a biological and physical science course).
Social and Behavioral Sciences. (Must include U.S. History, American Government, Economics, World History and World Geography).
Humanities (Formerly Fine Arts/Foreign Language).
Proficiencies: Reading, Math and English Composition
The GED Program: This program prepares the students to pass the GED High School equivalency exam. Our faculty gives practice tests and feedback to students in order to help them pass the official GED exam.
Online GED practice test: http://www.onlinegedpracticetest.com