Santiago Canyon College is in the process of reforming how placement is determined in English and math courses because of AB 705 . AB 705 is a bill (passed by Governor Brown on October 13, 2017), demanding that California Community Colleges adhere to new requirements and new implementation guidelines by Fall 2019. These new requirements are meant to ensure that students have greater access to transfer-level coursework in English and math courses. Placement into these courses will be determined by high school grade point average and high school coursework. Additional measures like Guided Self-Placement will be also be utilized to further enhance effective student placement. It is strongly recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss placement recommendations. Meeting with a counselor ensures that course selection is well informed and firmly rooted in a student's planned-out educational goals.
SCC's AB 705 Implementation Video:
Know Your Rights: The AB 705 Initiative and What it Means for Students
Starting November 1, 2018, students will be placed in English and math courses based on one or more of the following:
1. High School grade point average (GPA) and course completion
2. Review prior placement results with a counselor to determine if transfer-level coursework is recommended based on educational goal
3. Placement recommendations from Guided Self-Placement Questionnaire
Students who need to continue working on their English acquisition will need to take the American College English/English as a Second Language (ACE/ESL) placement exam. Students interested in the ACE Program will need to call 714.628.4812 to schedule a placement appointment.
English and Math Department Course Offerings for AB 705 Compliance:
1. Course offerings of English 100, Math 219 with Math N43 support, Math 171 with Math N41 support are available to help students complete transfer-level coursework
2. Creation of English and Math Guided Self-Placements
3. Curriculum development of a new transfer-level English course with embedded support