Sign In

Frequently Asked Questions

​​​​​​​Frequently Asked Questions

I no longer have access to my high school records, what should I do?

 If you would like to enroll in an English, math, and/or American College English (ACE)/English as a Second Language (ESL) course/s you will need to take the Guided Placement Questionnaire/s​​ that pertain to the subject you want to take.

I already took the assessment test, do the new placement policies apply to me? 

Yes, our new placement process allows you to maximize your placement into transfer-level English, math, and ACE courses.

I’ve already taken math or English classes in college, do the new placement policies apply to me? 

No, if you already completed your English and math sequence at another college, you do not need follow our placement policy.  However, we ask that you provide us with an official transcript so that we have your full academic record.  If your major requires for you to take additional courses in these subjects, we ask that you fill out the Prerequisite Clearance Form for clearnce inot SCC's English and math courses.

I’m taking a class for personal enrichment, do I still need to complete the placement process? 

No, you do not need to complete the placement process if you are taking a class for personal enrichment.  You will only need to complete the placement process if you plan on enrolling in an English, math, and/or American College English (ACE)/English as a Second Language (ESL) course/s.

I have been out of high school for a while, does the new policy still apply to me? 

Yes, when you apply to SCC you will be asked to provide your self-reported high school GPA, course completion in English and math and grades earned.  Based on this information, you will be placed into our transfer-level English and math courses.  If you do not know your high school GPA you will need to take the Guided Placement Questionnaire/s​​ that pertain to the subject you want to take.​

How long does it take to get my placement results? 

You have access to your placement results once you receive a Welcome Letter from the college's Admissions and Records Office.  To view your Recommended Placement Results, we recommend you visit our ​​Understanding Your Course Placement Recommendations​ page.  Assessment Services also sends you a copy of your placement results with additional information on support services we offer on campus.  Guided Placement results are emailed 1-2 business days after you submit your questionnaire.

I was placed into transfer-level math/English, but I’m not ready. What are my options? 

We recommend that you speak with a counselor to review the options we have for you.  Some of our transfer-level courses have support options available.  Through our noncredit program we offer noncredit options for students who would like to build their confidence in these subjects.  

Whom can I contact for more information? 

If you have questions, our Counseling Department is here to help.  Visit their website for drop-in counseling times.

I haven’t decided on a major yet. What math class should I take?​​

Math is dependent on your major.  We highly recommend you speak with a counselor to discuss your options.  We also encourage you to meet with one of our Career Counselors to research possible majors you are interested in.  We are here to help you navigate your academic journey!