Use of Library computer and electronic information system resources is defined and governed under Rancho Santiago Community College District (RSCCD) BP 3720: Computer and Network Use [SEE below]; the related District regulations and policy: AR 3720: Information Resource Use (2014); BP 5500: Standards of Student Conduct (2014); and the Library Computer Use policy that follows.
BP 3720: Computer and Network Use
Education code Section 70902
17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq.
Penal Code Section 502
California Constitution Article 1, Section 1
Government Code Section 3543.1(b)
The Rancho Santiago Community College District owns and operates a variety of information resources, including hardware, software, and Internet access. These information resources are provided solely for the use of RSCCD students, faculty, and staff in support of the education, research, academic development, and public service programs of RSCCD.
RSCCD information resources provide access to information content, and communication worldwide. Access to, and use of, these information resources is a privilege, which is to be used responsibly. RSCCD information resources users must respect the rights of other users, respect the integrity of the information resources, and observe all relevant RSCCD Board Policies, Administrative Regulations, and federal, state, and local laws. All students, faculty, and staff are responsible for seeing that these RSCCD information resources are used in an appropriate, effective, efficient, ethical, and lawful manner, including but not limited to the illegal downloading and/or unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including peer-to-peer file sharing. Violations of Federal copyright laws may subject the violator to civil and criminal penalties as well as disciplinary action.
Administrative regulations establish rules and prohibitions that define acceptable use of RSCCD resources. Unacceptable use is prohibited, and is grounds for loss of use of information resources, as well as discipline or legal actions as provided for under RSCCD Board Policy and federal, state, and local laws.
Revised: August 19, 2013 (Previously BP7000)
Library Computer Use Policy
- To promote equitable access and use, Library personnel reserve the right to :
- Saving computer work
- Computer work cannot permanently be saved to a Library computer; work has to be saved to the user's external storage medium, e.g., flash drive, cloud technology, etc.
- Library is not responsible for damage to or loss of a user's external storage medium
- Library is not responsible for any lost work
- Laws governing communication and publication, e.g., copyright, pornographic/obscene materials, libel, hostile harassment also apply to electronic media:
- Outside networks:
- some of the SCC computing systems/resources provide access to outside networks, public and/or private
- users are advised that they may encounter material which may be considered inappropriate in nature or content
- users are further advised that neither the Library, the College nor Rancho Santiago Community College District assume responsibility for the content of any of these outside networks