Sign In

DACA Rescinded - Now What?

CCCforDACA_banner​On Tuesday, September 5th, 2017, the Trump administration announced that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Program is being rescinded, with a 6-month phase-out plan put immediately into place.

What does this mean for DACA recipients?  The details are still emerging, and we will be updating the resources listed on this web page as they become available. 

DACA Image 

Know Your Rights

College Attendance

  • Stay Enrolled in School!  The Federal government's decision to rescind DACA does not affect State regulations, particularly the ability of AB 540 (California Dream Act) students to attend a public Community College in California.
  • AB 540 (California Dream Act) students still have the ability to qualify for in-state tuition rates (per exemption from non-resident tuition fees).
  • AB 540 (California Dream Act) students still have the ability to apply for Financial Aid from the State of California. 

Work Permits

  • You have the right to work legally until your work permit expires.
  • If your work permit expires on or before March 5, 2018, you have the ability to apply now for a two-year renewal of your work permit, but you must apply for renewal prior to October 5, 2017.
  • You have no obligation to inform your employer that DACA has ended.  Your employer does not have the right to ask you whether you are a DACA recipient or how you got your work permit.
  • Your employer does not have the right to fire you, put you on leave, or change your work status until after your work permit has expired.

Social Security Numbers

  • Your Social Security Number (SSN) is a valid number for life, even after your work permit and DACA approval expires.
  • If you have not done so already, apply for a SSN while your DACA status and work permit are still valid.
  • You can and should continue to use the SSN you received through DACA as your SSN even after your work permit expires.  You can use your SSN for education, banking, housing and other purposes.

Driver's License

  • You can apply for a Driver's License in CA (AB-60).
  • To apply you must show proof of identity and CA residency (e.g., bills, school documents, etc.). 
  • License cannot be used against you to determine your immigration status or citizenship, or detain you in any way for reasons other than valid traffic violations. 

Statements of Support for DACA Recipients


From the California Community College Chancellor's Office:

Helpful Resources for DACA Recipients