Sign In

Student Complaint Policy

Students who feel their rights as a student have been violated by an instructor or staff member should first attempt in good faith to resolve the matter with the source of the complaint. If the student is dissatisfied with the outcome of this meeting, they may take their complaint to a Department Chair or Administrator for further review by a third party. If a resolution is not reached at this level, the student may file a formal complaint with the appropriate Division Dean or department Administrator. Contact information for Deans and Administration can be found in the SCC College Catalog in the “Rancho Santiago Community College District Information” pages. For support and guidance on the complaint/grievance process, a student may consult the Student Development Associate Dean of the Student Services division, located in A-201 or call (714) 628-4932.

The procedure is the same for complaints about academic matters including grades and curriculum. The student should begin by first discussing with the instructor to attempt resolution. If this is unsuccessful, the student may then proceed with the steps as listed above. The appropriate path is faculty member, Department Chair, area Dean and finally Vice President, Academic Affairs.

Complaints involving sexual harassment, race discrimination, sex discrimination and discrimination against those with disabilities, should contact the Vice President of Student Services at (714) 628-4884. Reports of complaints of discrimination that proceed to investigation will be evaluated by a person knowledgeable about discrimination matters and the process will include, at a minimum, interviewing the complainant, other relevant witnesses, and gathering pertinent documentation.

Student appeals relating to Financial Aid decisions, rules and regulations should contact the Student Financial Aid office in order to initiate the Financial Aid appeal process which follows established guidelines. The phone number is (714) 628-4876.

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the most expeditious and successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are obligated to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

  • To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) if your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.
  • To the CCC Chancellor’s Office by completing the Web form if your complaint does not concern CCC’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards.
  • If your complaint involves unlawful discrimination, to the Chancellor’s Offic​e Web site​. Nothing in this disclosure should be construed to limit any right that you may have to take civil or criminal legal action to resolve your complaints.

Lastly, if you believe you have been discriminated against on the basis of your race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, age or handicap please refer to the Grievance Procedures located in your student catalog. You can also find information at: