Sign In

UC Transfer Requirements

​​​​​​UC Campuses Welcome Transfer Students

Most transfer students come to the UC from California community colleges.  In fact, in the last five years, the University has admitted, on average, nearly 8 of every 10 California community college students who apply.


Studies show that transfer students are well prepared to succeed at the University of California. Community college students who enter the University as juniors perform just as well academically as students who entered UC as freshmen.  Their graduation rates are comparable, too: nearly two-thirds complete a bachelor’s degree within three years of entering UC.

The University considers you a transfer applicant if you graduated from high school and enrolled in a regular session at another college or university.  You can’t disregard your college record and apply as a freshman.

What Steps do I Take to Transfer to  UC Campus?

To transfer to UC, you’ll need to do three things:

  • become eligible
  • complete a set of general education requirements appropriate to your major
  • prepare for upper division study in your major.

For major preparation information please refer to

To be eligible for admission to UC as a transfer student, you must fulfill both of the following criteria:

1. Complete 60 semester (90 quarter) units of transferable college credit with a GPA of at least 2.4.  No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units may be taken Pass/Not Pass.

2. Complete the following course pattern requirements, earning a grade of C or better in each course:

  • Two UC transferable college courses (3 semester units each) in English composition
  • One UC transferable college course (3 semester units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
  • Four UC transferable college courses (3 semester units each) chosen from at least two of the follo​wing subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, and the physical and biological sciences.

Can I Use IGETC/Plan C to Complete These Requirements?

If you satisfy the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC/Plan C) ​you complete the lower-division general education or breadth program at a CSU or UC campus.  IGETC/Plan C is not an admission requirement for transfer​​ to either a CSU or UC, nor does completing it guarantee admission to the campus or program of choice. IGETC/Plan C may not be best for students in high unit majors such as math and sciences.  IGETC/Plan C is not accepted for meeting general education at the colleges of Roosevelt and Revelle​ at UC San Diego, and for other majors and UC campuses within the UC system.  However, many campuses and majors within the UC system prefer community college students to complete IGETC.  Make sure you meet with a Santiago Canyon College counselor to discuss whether IGETC/Plan C is appropriate for your major of study.   

What if I was eligible to attend the UC from high school?

If you were eligible for admission to the university when you graduated from high school – meaning you satisfied the Subject, Scholarship and Examination Requirements, or were identified by the University during your senior year as eligible in the local context – you are eligible for transfer if you have a C (2.0) average in your transferable college coursework.

If you met the Scholarship Requirement in high school but did not satisfy the Subject Requirement, you must  clear the course deficiency by taking transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earn a C or better in each required course and have an overall C (2.0) average in all transferable coursework to be eligible to transfer.

Most UC campuses will not admit transfer students who have fewer than 60 transferable units completed even if they were eligible out of high school.

When do I need to complete the transfer requirements?

To be considered for fall admission at many campuses, you must plan to complete all courses required for admission no later than the spring term preceding the fall you wish to enter the University.