The Promise Scholarship is now being offered to ALL first time college students! Don't wait, the new deadline to apply is August 31, 2020.
More than a promise…the Santiago Canyon College (SCC) Promise Scholarship helps first-time students complete their associate degree, transfer requirements, or workforce certificate(s) by accelerating paths to achieve success. We strive to provide a seamless transition into college and equip students with a supportive and engaging environment.
SCC offers free tuition for all first time college students, regardless of family income. All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CA Dream Act Application to become eligible. Promise Scholarships will be awarded to students on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted, so be sure to apply early! Based on your Financial Aid status, the Promise will reimburse tuition fees up to $1400 each academic year ($700 Fall 2020 & $700 Spring 2021; $700 Fall 2021 & $700 Spring 2022). Students that qualify for free tuition through a fee waiver may also be reimbursed $800 ($200/semester for two years).
SCC Promise Scholars will work with a First Year Support Mentor designed to offer insight into academic and social life at Santiago Canyon College and help introduce students to activities and events on campus. Mentors can also serve as an excellent resource for students as they begin navigating their way through college life. In addition, a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) will be developed by an Academic Counselor. The CSEP is a personalized roadmap of every class required for you to complete your educational goal or program of study. Knowing which courses to take will help save time and money!
Please fill out this Pledge application, as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. The priority deadline for completion of eligibility requirements is August 31, 2020.
Click here to fill out the Pledge Application
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
AS A FIRST-TIME COLLEGE STUDENT, YOU MUST MEET THESE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SANTIAGO CANYON COLLEGE PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP BY THE PRIORITY DEADLINE OF AUGUST 31, 2020:
- First time college student - No college units taken at any higer education institution
- Be a resident of California or AB540 eligible
- Complete and submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application. Those students that fill out the FAFSA or California Dream Act application and complete the intake process with the Financial Aid Department by the priority deadline of August 31, 2020, will receive priority to receive the Promise Scholarship. All Promise Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted.
- Please fill out this Pledge application, as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. Click here to fill out the Pledge Application
AS A FIRST-TIME COLLEGE STUDENT, YOU MUST MEET THESE STUDENT REQUIREMENTS AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER, TO RECEIVE YOUR SCC PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP:
Remain continuously enrolled in 12 units or more per semester (Fall 2020/Spring 2021 & Fall 2021/Spring 2022). Students with verified disabilities impacting their ability to maintain 12 units still qualify. Eligibility for
students registered with Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) is
determined individually in accordance with California College Promise state
- Earn a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) and complete 12 units each semester to receive reimbursement and remain eligible for the subsequent semester. Reimbursements will be credited each term.
- Meet with a Mentor in the First Year Support Center (Building E, Room 303) once each semester during your first year
- Meet with a Counselor to develop your Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) to help you understand what courses you need to take to reach your educational goal. To book an appointment, call (714) 628-4800.
- Attend the “Year 2 Ongoing Success Workshop" during Summer 2021
Tuition reimbursements will be credited each term. Students that are eligible for the $1,400 Promise Scholarship will be awarded $700 each semester. Program requirements will be verified (i.e. 2.0 GPA and completion of 12 units). Please note, a substandard grade of "F" will not be considered toward 12 unit completion.
Initial tuition payment must be paid by student in order to secure classes.
Recipient students will register with BankMobile (our third-party servicer) in order to receive the tuition reimbursements
Please visit the Financial Aid Department in Building E, Room 104 if you have any questions regarding BankMobile.
Students that qualify for free tuition through FAFSA are also eligible for a $400 scholarship (as long as your award package does not exceed the cost of education). Recipient students will receive a $200 reimbursement each semester (i.e. 2.0 GPA and completion of 12 units for the fall term).
The cost of textbooks will be incurred by the student.
Students who fail to meet program requirements may be removed from the program.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the SCC Promise Scholarship?
The SCC Promise Scholarship provides one of two scholarships for all first-time, full-time students for two academic years (Fall 2020/Spring 2021 & Fall 2021/Spring 2022 semesters). Voted #3 Best Community College in CA and ranked #13 in the U.S., SCC is committed to your success and will work with you to ensure completion and provide a high-quality education.
2. Who is eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship?
The Promise Scholarship is available to all first-time students, regardless of family income. Students that completed college courses while still in high school through Dual Enrollment are also eligible. Students must also be California residents or AB540 eligible.
3. Do I need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act application to be eligible for the Promise Scholarship?
Yes, everyone must complete and submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application to qualify for the Promise Scholarship. Since this scholarship is not based on family income, you can still qualify for free tuition even if you are not eligible to receive any other types of financial aid assistance. We will provide priority for those students that complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act application by August 31, 2020.
4. Do I need to apply for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
Yes, you need to fill out the Pledge application, as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. Click here to fill out the Pledge Application
5. Is there a deadline for students to apply for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
There is a priority deadline to complete the eligibility requirements by August 31, 2020. Please keep in mind that the Promise Scholarship is available on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted.
6. If I am eligible, how will I receive the $700 credit each semester?
Students that are eligible for the $1,400 yearly scholarship will have $700 credited to them through BankMobile each semester (Fall 2020/Spring 2021 & Fall 2021/Spring 2022).
7. What are the benefits of the SCC Promise Scholarship?
In addition to free tuition for two years, SCC will provide you with the support and guidance needed to reach your educational and career goals. You will receive continuous academic and support services such as student success workshops, academic coaching, personalized comprehensive student education plans, one-on-one counseling, tutoring, career exploration, and transfer advisement to 4-year universities. Assistance is also available throughout the enrollment process should you need help with your application, financial aid, or any other resources and services on campus.
8. Are students with disabilities required to take 12 units?
with verified disabilities impacting their ability to maintain 12 units per
semester are eligible for the Santiago Canyon College Promise. Requirements for students registered with
Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) are determined individually in
accordance with California College Promise state guidelines. To schedule an appointment with DSPS, please
call (714) 628-4860 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
1. How can I start applying for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
All interested students must complete the Pledge Application. Click here to fill out the Pledge Application Please contact the First Year Support Center at (714) 628-5085 for assistance.
2. How and when will I know that I'm eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship?
SCC will verify that you have met the eligibility requirements and will send you an email regarding your status.
3. I just registered for my courses, do I have to pay the bill?
Yes, you must pay your tuition bill in full. If it is determined that you are eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship, your tuition will be refunded and your full scholarship funds will be credited to you by late September or mid October pending program requirements have been met.
4. I did not pay my tuition bill and I see there is a deadline to pay for classes or they will be dropped. Do I need to pay my bill by that date so my classes won't be dropped for non-payment?
Yes, you must pay your tuition bill by the deadline to avoid being dropped due to non-payment.
5. Where can I find out more information about the SCC Promise Scholarship?
If you have any questions, let us help! Please contact the First Year Support Center on the 3rd floor of the E building, Room E-303 for more information. You can also call (714) 628-5085 or email email@example.com.