High school graduating Class of 2022, please review the following information for upcoming scholarship opportunities!
More than a promise…the Santiago Canyon College (SCC) Promise Scholarship helps first-time students complete their associate degree, transfer requirements, or workforce certificate(s) by accelerating paths to achieve success. We strive to provide a seamless transition into college and equip students with a supportive and engaging environment.
SCC offers free tuition for 2022 high school graduates, regardless of family income. To become eligible, all students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CA Dream Act Application. Promise Scholarships will be awarded to students on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted, so be sure to apply early! Based on your Financial Aid status, the Promise will reimburse tuition fees up to $1400 each academic year ($700 Fall 2022 & $700 Spring 2023; $700 Fall 2023 & $700 Spring 2024). In addition, students that qualify for free tuition through a fee waiver may also be reimbursed $800 ($200/semester for two years).
SCC Promise Scholars will work with a First-Year Support Mentor designed to offer insight into academic and social life at Santiago Canyon College and help introduce students to activities and events on campus. Mentors can also serve as an excellent resource for students as they begin navigating their way through college life. In addition, a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) will be developed by an Academic Counselor. The CSEP is a personalized roadmap of every class required to complete your educational goal or program of study. Knowing which courses to take will help save time and money!
Please fill out this Pledge application as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. The priority deadline for the completion of eligibility requirements is July 31st, 2022.
Promise Scholarship Pledge Application
Join the First Year Support Center (FYSC) during one of the info sessions below. Both info sessions will take place online via Zoom. Participants must register to access Zoom information. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the FYSC at 714-628-5085.
Info Session one: Tuesday, April 19th from 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Info Session two: Thursday, May 26th from 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
AS A FIRST-TIME COLLEGE STUDENT, YOU MUST MEET THESE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SANTIAGO CANYON COLLEGE PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP BY THE PRIORITY DEADLINE TBD:
- First-time college student - No college units taken at any higher education institution
- Be a resident of California or AB540 eligible.
- Complete and submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application. Students who fill out the FAFSA or California Dream Act application and complete the intake process with the Financial Aid Department by the priority deadline (TBD) will receive priority to receive the Promise Scholarship. All Promise Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted.
- Please fill out this Pledge application as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. Promise Scholarship Pledge Application
AS A FIRST-TIME COLLEGE STUDENT, YOU MUST MEET THESE STUDENT REQUIREMENTS AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER TO RECEIVE YOUR SCC PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP:
Remain continuously enrolled in 12 units or more per semester (Fall 2022/Spring 2023 & Fall 2023/Spring 2024). Students with verified disabilities impacting their ability to maintain 12 units still qualify. Eligibility for
students registered with Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) is
determined individually in accordance with California College Promise state
- Earn a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) and complete 12 units each semester to receive a reimbursement and remain eligible for the subsequent semester. Reimbursements will be credited each term.
- Meet with a Mentor in the First Year Support Center (Building E, Room 303) once each semester during your first year
- Meet with a Counselor to develop your Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) to help you understand what courses you need to take to reach your educational goal.
- Attend the “Year 2 Ongoing Success Workshop" during Summer 2023
Tuition reimbursements will be credited each term. Students that are eligible for the $1,400 Promise Scholarship will be awarded $700 each semester. Program requirements will be verified (i.e., 2.0 GPA and completion of 12 units). Please note, a substandard grade of "F" will not be considered toward 12 unit completion.
Students must pay initial tuition payment to secure classes.
Recipient students will register with BankMobile (our third-party servicer) to receive the tuition reimbursements.
Please visit the Financial Aid Department in Building E, Room 104, if you have any questions regarding BankMobile.
Students that qualify for free tuition through FAFSA are also eligible for a $400 scholarship (as long as your award package does not exceed the cost of education). In addition, recipient students will receive a $200 reimbursement each semester (i.e., 2.0 GPA and completion of 12 units for the fall term).
The student will incur the cost of textbooks.
Students who fail to meet program requirements may be removed from the program.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the SCC Promise Scholarship?
The SCC Promise Scholarship provides one of two scholarships for all first-time, full-time students for two academic years (Fall 2022/Spring 2023 & Fall 2023/Spring 2024 semesters). Voted #3 Best Community College in CA and ranked #13 in the U.S., SCC is committed to your success and will work with you to ensure completion and provide a high-quality education.
2. Who is eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship?
The Promise Scholarship is available to all first-time students, regardless of family income. In addition, students that completed college courses while still in high school through Dual Enrollment are also eligible. Students must also be California residents or AB540 eligible.
3. Do I need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act application to be eligible for the Promise Scholarship?
Yes, everyone must complete and submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application to qualify for the Promise Scholarship. Since this scholarship is not based on family income, you can still qualify for free tuition even if you are not eligible to receive any other types of financial aid assistance. We will provide priority for those students that complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act application by TBD.
4. Do I need to apply for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
Yes, you need to fill out the Pledge application as an understanding of the eligibility and scholarship requirements of the SCC Promise Scholarship. Application Opening Soon!
5. Is there a deadline for students to apply for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
There is a priority deadline to complete the eligibility requirements by TBD. Please remember that the Promise Scholarship is available on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted.
6. If I am eligible, how will I receive the $700 credit each semester?
Students that are eligible for the $1,400 yearly scholarship will have $700 credited to them through BankMobile each semester (Fall 2022/Spring 2023 & Fall 2023/Spring 2024).
7. What are the benefits of the SCC Promise Scholarship?
In addition to free tuition for two years, SCC will provide you with the support and guidance needed to reach your educational and career goals. You will receive continuous academic and support services such as student success workshops, academic coaching, personalized comprehensive student education plans, one-on-one counseling, tutoring, career exploration, and transfer advisement to 4-year universities. Assistance is also available throughout the enrollment process if you need help with your application, financial aid, or other resources and services on campus.
8. Are students with disabilities required to take 12 units?
with verified disabilities impacting their ability to maintain 12 units per
semester are eligible for the Santiago Canyon College Promise. Requirements for students registered with
Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) are determined individually in
accordance with California College Promise state guidelines. To schedule an appointment with DSPS, please
call (714) 798-3226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
1. How can I start applying for the SCC Promise Scholarship?
All interested students must complete the Pledge Application. Promise Scholarship Pledge Application. Don't hesitate to contact the First Year Support Center at (714) 628-5085 for assistance.
2. How and when will I know that I'm eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship?
SCC will verify that you have met the eligibility requirements and send you an email regarding your status by late July or early August.
3. I just registered for my courses, do I have to pay the bill?
Yes, you must pay your tuition bill in full. However, if it is determined that you are eligible to receive the SCC Promise Scholarship, your tuition will be refunded, and your full scholarship funds will be credited to you by late September or mid-October pending program requirements have been met.
4. I did not pay my tuition bill, and I see there is a deadline to pay for classes, or they will be dropped. Do I need to pay my bill by that date so my classes won't be dropped for non-payment?
Yes, you must pay your tuition bill by the deadline to avoid being dropped due to non-payment.
5. Where can I find out more information about the SCC Promise Scholarship?
If you have any questions, let us help! Don't hesitate to contact the First Year Support Center on the 3rd floor of the E building, Room E-303, for more information. You can also call (714) 628-5085 or email email@example.com.